ML2S Header

ML2S Header

McCalls 4767


Pattern Description: Girls Dresses in Two lengths, with the option of straps or a strapless summer dress.

Pattern Sizing:S8

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?This pattern was marked easy, but I think this pattern is suited for an Advanced Beginner.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?In my opinion this pattern was not easy.  The zipper section was hard to understand, it ended up that the zipper required the entire length of the bodice and this was my 1st zipper experience.

Fabric Used:Cotton Blend

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:The only alteration made was to add lining to the bodice section.  I also took in the sides in about 3 inches overall to fit my small frame DD.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I don't know if I would sew it again, however I would recommend this to an Advanced beginner that has an understanding of zippers, interfacing, darts etc...







Conclusion: I am a beginner and I thought this pattern would have been easy and a quick sew, but it was a lot more work than anticipated. Keep in mind that if you have a tall child you may have to extend the length.  I ended up cutting out a size 9 in the flounce and 8 in the bodice and tucked in where applicable otherwise it would have been almost 1.5" to 2" above the knee.

I hope this helps and Happy Sewing!




3 comments:

Anne Goldstein said...

Thanks for the post. I am just about to cut out the material for this dress, and I wanted to make it longer. My niece is only 8 and I don't think she needs to show so much leg. But I just read through the entire directions to see if there was an obvious way to cut it out longer and realized that this is probably going to be the hardest thing I've made! I love a challenge when sewing. The last dress I made I had to rip out the stictches several times but my daughter wears it and it's holding up for her.
I'm curious why did you line the entire bodice, because of the light color of the dress? If you could let me know, that would be helpful!!!
Great blog, I'll keep on reading!

Mama Luv 2 Sew said...

Thank you for your comments! The reason why I lined the bodice is because the material used was a bit sheer and I thought she needed a little more coverage. She was going to wear this dress to a garden wedding. It was a personal preference. I hope this helps. Happy Sewing!
Jacquie

LindyA said...

I know this is an older pattern but I love it. I made it the first time for my Granddaughter when she turned 8 and I made it out of polka-dotted material as depicted on the envelope, but the best thing about it was it was swimsuit material and therefore it was very stretchy. It made it harder to sew (all that stretching esp when trying to put in the zipper) but she LOVED it. It was so comfortable and she practically lived in it until she got too tall for it. Fortunately I had some fabric left (original material was very wide and the dress had not faded at all)so I removed the flounces on the bottom of the dress, made the longer one the new shorter one and cut out another one longer than that and reattached both and now she can still wear it. I made the pattern, again out of a stretch material, for her 10th birthday this summer. Prior to making it I asked her if the zipper on the first dress gave her any problems. She looked at me blankly and said: "There's a zipper?" Needless to say the new dress does not have one and it is stretchy enough to accommodate that. I love the look of this pattern on her and she loves the kicky flounces. Just thought I'd share.